How Chaffey Advocates for its Veterans

The entrance of the Veteran’s Resource Center. Photo by Sonya Sexton

The entrance of the Veteran’s Resource Center. Photo by Sonya Sexton

Getting a degree makes people feel accomplished, and is a way for many people to find career opportunities that would have been inaccessible to them had they decided not to get their college degree. Many students, including veterans and their dependents, choose to start at a community college, which saves money and makes the transition to a four-year university easier.

Ms. Rodes’ job at Chaffey College is to be the liaison between the Department of Veterans Affairs and students. She is also the one that students go to when they need their claims to be submitted to VA. The student needs to bring in a certification of eligibility, a DD214 form, which is proof of discharge from active duty, separation paperwork, as well as all official transcripts from any prior schools that the student has attended. Veterans need to bring in their joint service transcripts based on the training they received. Students register for classes and fill out a veteran’s information card for their claim to be submitted. This card is required to be submitted every semester a student wants to receive benefits from VA.

The benefits that a student qualifies for is determined by VA. If the student is a dependent, they fill out the paperwork that VA sends and then return it by mail. VA will then let you know which benefits that you are able to receive. Benefits available include: Chapter 35, Dependent’s Educational Assistance, Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill for Reserve officers, Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty soldiers, and Chapter 3, Vocational Assistance.

The Veteran Resource Center, located in the AD building, also helps students find work-study jobs on campus.

If you would like to get in contact with Laura Rodes, she is available by email at or by phone at (909) 652-6611. Right now, the Veterans Resource Center is closed, so if you would like to visit Ms. Rodes in person it is best to send her an email to find out which office she will be working out of that day and make an appointment.